Named after the most famous Slovenian poet France Prešeren, it is the city’s central square. The bronze statue of the poet with a muse, which stands on the eastern side of the square was built in 1905. The square was developed from a medieval road junction in front of one of the city gates. The pink baroque-style Franciscan Church of the Annunciation was built in the 17th century and the square gained its current appearance then. The junction was turned into a square and paved only after the city walls were pulled down in the middle of the 19th century. The square has been completely closed for traffic only since 2007.
Published on: April 16, 2019 - Filed under: Sightseeing